The Espionage and Sedition Act of 1918
100 years ago, during World War I, the U.S. Congress passed the Espionage and Sedition Acts of 1918. Wartime censorship was broadly applied and anything that cast the government or the war effort in a negative light or interfered with the sale of government bonds could land you in jail for years.
The act was repealed on December 13, 1920, but not before thousands of people were convicted and jailed for what we consider free speech and freedom of expression.
In recognition of this muting of free speech we’re holding an art contest encouraging all antiwar activists to freely express their thoughts and images about diplomacy, foreign policy, and how we get to a more peaceful future.
We are looking for the best Pro Peace/ Antiwar expressions out there to help grow a movement of people working towards a more peaceful future. Can you help answer the question “How do we get there?”
Over $1500 in Prizes
- 3 First Place prizes; $300 in BitcoinCash (sponsored by Bitcoin.com)
- 3 Second Place prizes; 7.0 ZenCash (sponsored by Zensystems.io) and a Remember Peace tee shirt (sponsored by WryGuys.com)
- 3 Third prizes; 1oz Silver Card plus Peace Now tee shirt (sponsord by Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc. RRBI.co)
- Runner Up prize; written category; Peace Flag and a selection of Libertarian books (sponsored by Free Press Publications FPP.cc)
- Runner Up prizes; visual and musical categories; Signed copy of Fool’s Errand (sponsored by Scott Horton foolserrand.us) and Coffee Mug (sponsored by LibertyMugs.com)
- Honorable Mention prizes; Tee shirt (sponsord by Students for Liberty SFL.com) and custom antiwar button set (sponsored by Buttonsfreshdaily.com)
How To Enter
Contest runs to May 31st 2018, with submissions due by 9pm pacific standard time. Winners will be contacted on or before May 15, with details about how to claim their prize. Winners will also be posted on Antiwar.me May 16, 2018.
There are 3 entry categories:
- VISUAL ART- original illustration, painting, collage, meme, photography, poster art
- WRITTEN COMPOSITION- original short essays, poetry, slogans (500 words max)
- MUSICAL ART- original songs, jingles, hip hop, musical composition
Each category will be judged separately and awarded first, second, third prizes and honorable mentions. Runner up prizes will cross categories.
To Enter, email to email@example.com
- Put your full name (for attribution) and email address in the body of the email
- Label your file with your name and attach to your email
- Post/tweet your art along with #NoMoreWar and include a link to your post in the email.
File types to submit: doc, pdf, jpg, png, gif, mp3, mp4 (Please no large files/ large file services).
By submitting your entry you are giving Antiwar.me/Antiwar.com permission to post, promote and reproduce your art with attribution on our websites, social media channels, and promotional materials and we may deem appropriate. You will also be invited to opt into our new PeaceNow call to action email which will keep you up to date on the contest and our other pro peace activities.
Enter as often as you wish but each entry must be submitted separately per the entry submission guidelines above.
Have a great time!